series.

Life is a cherry blossom tree chapter 7,part 2.

01:21 Shrey Katsura 0 Comments





"6.30 am,Fukotoshin Line everyone.
Don't be late or you'll regret. :) "

I clicked the send button and forwarded  this text message to Yuto,Hayate,Hana,and Kumi. Four friends I found here in this strange city.

The city taught me a lot of things.
From how to wash your own clothes to stuffs like taking responsibilities  for your actions,to not care about  worthless things like self pity or sympathy.
The city taught me that you can't keep clinging onto your past.
You can't keep running away.
You can't ever accept  the fact that you are  damaged because you are  not, Just like the streets of Shinjuku which is filled with  garbage at the night,but by day they are as clean as a toddler's mind,
as if there was no mud to begin with.
Hundreds of people work hard every night to clean the city streets.
They do it every day.
The same goes for our mind,every now and then we have to clean ourselves from all the darkness and the impurities in and around us  and shine again,shine like a shooting star.
That's life as we know it.

The next morning was a clear sky.
The sun shining brighter than it had in a while.
"Looks like somebody's in  a cheerful mood huh?" said Hayate looking up at the sky.

We two were the first ones to reach.
Actually it was more like a challenge.
He claimed that I could never reach a place at the given time.

The challenge was accepted and hence we both  reached half and hour early,panting and gasping for breathe.
"Dude I think my lungs are coming out." said Hayate as he clung  on to an electric pole.
"Mine are already out." I said.As I sat down on this grim looking isolated platform.

"I think we are the only people here." Hayate said.
"Yes,its not a very busy route,especially in the morning".


We waited for others to come.
Kumi was next.
She wore a black off shoulder top with butterflies all over it in an irregular manner,with a dark grey colored denim to go by.
Her hair was once again tied back to that high pony;Gosh how much did I adored that.
She carried a deep blue colored backpack which was different from the one she brought at school.

We smiled.

Hana and Yuto arrived ten minutes later ,holding hands,laughing.
These two were crazy.
Sometimes I wondered whether they were still just friends.



We boarded the train to Nanbu-my home town.

"Will we get to meet your parents Rin?" Yuto asked.
"No." I said.
"They are out of the town on a holiday themselves.
Besides we are taking a different route.
My house ain't exactly near the Nanbu station."


We had the whole compartment to ourselves in the train.
I sat next to the window,with Kumi sitting right next to me.
Hayate sat beside the other window, being his usual funny.
Yuto discussing about the places we could visit in and around Nanbu  as if I didn't know.
Hana had already greeted almost everyone in our coach and was now talking to some cute looking guy who seemed few years older than us.

"Look at her go." Yuto said.
"She's the friendlist soul in this world."
How can someone not like her? "
"How can someone be such a dick?" said Hayate.
We laughed,Yuto scowled.

"She's just like sun,spreading her shine wherever she goes." Yuto continued.
"Sun is round and fat you know ." exclaimed Hayate.
We laughed even harder.
What would we all do without Hayate's humor?

I chose to look away during their on and  off argument.
The weather was changing.
The sky become darker as we entered the country side.
The train had moved on from the city skylines just as I had moved on from my past.
I don't remember when I dozed off.


************************************
"Dad?"
"Yes son?"

"Why can't we fly over Fuji san just like those birds?"
"Who said you can't son?"
"We can?" I asked
"Yes,just close your eyes and let your thoughts fly away to wherever you want."
"You can be anywhere."
*****************************************

I woke up with a jolt,my head aching a little at the back.
I had bumped my head over the window when I caught Kumi staring at me.
The others were fast asleep.

"You were smiling in your sleep.What did you dream about?" She asked.
"Nothing much,It was about dad.
About this hiking trip we went to back when I was 8 years old.

"How was it?"
"Beautiful, it was my first trip.I have loved hiking ever since then,
There's something special  about such places.
Its just you, and your thoughts suddenly become as serene as the view.
Its magical."

"I have never been outside Tokyo you know,but I always wanted to.The tree house was my only escape from reality back when I was a kid." She said.
"Well then,you would love the place where I'm taking you tonight." I said  smiling and kissing her right palm.
She blushed.
I slept again,leaning against her shoulder this time,the window pane couldn't be trusted.


"C'mon! Wake up you guys! We are there! Wake up! Wake up!" Hana screamed at the top of her voice,jumping up and down.
Thankfully Nanbu station was the train's last stop or else we would have definitely missed it.

We woke up,Yuto unwilling to until Hana kicked him .

"So where are we headed to?" Kumi asked as we got out of the train.

It was drizzling by now. A little splatter of droplets  here and there over our  heads.

"We walk,the camping place is 8 miles from here.
We will get all the equipment such as tents,sleeping bags and other stuffs there for rent.

"Why can't we just take a cab?" Yuto said as he went white with the thought of walking 8 miles.
"We can't because the wilderness is untamed.
We can't just destroy them,there's no option then to walk." I said.
"I'm in." said Hana.
"Me too." said Hayate.
Kumi held my hands as we started to walk.



It was indeed a long and tiring journey but as Dad always said,the journey is as much as important as the destination.
We walked.
Crossing the familiar narrow lanes,the unbeaten paths made me feel like home.I was home.


"Did you miss this?" Yuto asked.
" Can't describe how much,I'm made for the countryside."
The fresh air,the wind,that little bakery shop you see there? That's run by  Kimihara family.
I have been going there since I was 4.
They make the best butterscotch pastry  in the world." I said,taking it all in.
Suddenly I felt as if I was a kid all over again.

Back when I was with Isumi,I had started to dislike this place,She would boast about her lavish city life style and I would wonder enviously about it.
I would day dream how things actually were there.She would make it sound all godly.
Now when I live there,I know how superficial of a place it is,along with the people.
Of course there's always an exception,that being these people and my Kumi.

"So how is it going with Hana?" I asked Yuto.
"It seems you two are inseparable."

"It's not like that.We talked about this."
"She doesn't want a relationship yet."
"She thinks when the school ends,we will all go our separate ways and won't be in contact."

"She doesn't want that,she wants a relationship that would last forever."
"She isn't sure yet if our's is such."

It took me a while to take it all in.
Hana did loved Yuto but she didn't want to commit yet.
She wasn't sure if her love was true, that's believable.


Its true,there are people who imagines  their life to be perfect,acts accordingly and sticks to what is probably considered right.
But what's life without a risk? What's life without a little baggage?

For Hana, I probably was a degenerate, a damaged good.
She probably would never commit to me or Yuto even if she's head over heels for us.
I could never understand such people.
They were more complex than any algebra I had ever solved.

"Do what you feel is right mate,If she's confused wether you're the right one for her,or a right man as a general then you should let her go."
"She doesn't understand your worth,she never will." I said,not knowing why.
Maybe it was my own frustration with such people.


"She's not like that.I mean she's is."
But she's right at the heart I guess.
She's a good friend and as of now and  that's all that matters." Yuto said with a weak smile.
"Whatever you say mate." I smiled back.

We walked on, the narrow lanes now becoming even more narrow and steeper as we neared our destination.
Yuto and Hayate started discussing about animes while Kumi and Hana were talking about college,
I decided to enjoy my solitude with some music as  I put on my headphones.


We reached a small lodge called "Haruto's Ridgewood." by 2pm.
The place rented out cooking utensils, sleeping bags, tents etc to the campers.
The place was usually crowded during the spring as that was the peak season.
As of now, it was basically empty,very few dared to camp in this weather.



"Finally we can rest a little! I think I can't feel my legs anymore!" Yuto said with a sigh of relief.
"Yes we should,even I'm a little tired," said Hana as she yawned and made us all yawn as well.

"Sure,there's a hot spring in the area if you guys want to chill out a little." I said,indicating towards  north.
"Really?! Kumi we need to try that! I always wanted to!" Hana said ,dragging Kumi along with her as they waved goodbye.

"Well the girls are gone for the next two hours it seems,what should we do?" I asked.
"I'm hungry, let's go eat something," said Yuto and Hayate agreed with him.
I was hungry too.

"Sure, there's a little shop here that serves tea, I could really do with some."

We made our way to the shop as the smell of Mitarashi Dango enticed us with its fragrance.
There were only two other people except us.

"Jeez this place is really empty huh? I wonder how it looks during the peak season."
"So full that you can't even smell the dangos being made." I said as we laughed.

"So what have you guys decided after the school ends?" asked Yuto.
"I'm going to sell you for my startup money if you don't asking this question every now and then", Hayate said.
"But shouldn't we like start planning about it?"
"We will have to start sending applications to different colleges of our choice and start preparing for their entrance exams."
He added.
"I also really want to go where Hana goes, I-I can't imagine her not being there."
I patted him on the back.
"Don't worry mate,you'll make this work.Relax for now,we are in the most beautiful place in the world."

"We sure are," Yuto said.
The rain had stopped but it was still overcast.
I wished the weather would clear up before we hit our camping spot,Mt.Fuji won't look the same if it didn't.

"Hey you guys,have you ever seen Mt.Fuji up close?" I asked.

"No,I mean only in the movies." Yuto said.
"And in the animes." Hayate added.

"Well the place where we are going tonight,its the closet you would ever  get to see it from." I said,grinning.
"Not much people know about this place."
"Really? Wow! I can't wait.Mt. Fuji with Hana,this is gonna be so awesome!" Yuto said,smiling.
"Ya,please don't make out in front of me okay you shit?" Hayate said.
We all laughed.
Poor Hayate, if only he had someone in his life too.

"Say Rin, Are you and Kumi planning to go to the same college?" asked Hayate.
"I don't know, and honestly I don't care.
I want to pursue Journalism and she's gonna go to a music school. So I don't know.
I would definitely want to live closer to her but even if I don't, I'll go see her every now and then."
"I'm not gonna force her to stay near me or anything if it comes between her career." I said.

"Really?" said Yuto curiously.
"That's very thoughtful and kind of you Rin."
"Did you really meant that?"

"Of course not,are you kidding me? I'm never letting her go." I chuckled as I high fived Hayate.
"Looks like you will be the only one left out alien face," said Hayate as we both laughed.

"What about you Hayate?" What do you want to do?" I asked as I took a sip of the traditional green tea I was just served,my head still hurting a little.
"I'm not going to the college." He said.
"What? Why?" Yuto asked surprisingly.

"It's not my thing.
"I want to start my own shit."
"Soon, I'll be earning more than you guys can ever even after getting a degree."

No kidding, Hayate was intelligent and his decision-making skills were off the charts.
He would make for a good businessman whatsoever he decides to do."

The girls returned just as we were about to get up.
Kumi looked even prettier with her hair all wet and curly.
She blushed when she noticed me acknowledging that.


We rented two tents, a few cooking utensils and five sleeping bags for us.
The rental shop owner told us to collect woods for the fire near the camping place.

It was getting dark by the time we reached the place.
I chose a place near the ocean which had the clearest view of Mt. Fuji.
Unfortunately as I expected,the sky hadn't clear yet and the view I wanted wasn't  visible.

"Fuck,all this walking  for nothing." I said.
I was disappointed.I made them all walk for so long,boasting about the most perfect view ever and all we got are dumb dark clouds blocking the pathway to heaven.
"It's alright dear,we came here to spend time together,have a little fun." Kumi said,holding my hand.
"I guess." I didn't know what to say anymore.
My headache had increased and this trip was turning out to be not what I expected.


Hana decided on the menu for dinner, while Yuto and Hayate went out to collect woods for the bonfire.
I and Kumi were trying to set up the camps.

"Hey you okay? You don't look so well." Kumi asked,a bit worried.
"I'm fine.I thought this trip would be a little on our favor and this damn headache ain't making things easy."
"I don't usually have one but when I do,it just doesn't stop.Why it had to be this day." I said,starting to feel low every second.
"Hey," she said as she squeezed my hands.
"We are at least together right? The more time I get to spend with you the better." she said ruffling my hair.

Even in this cold dark place at the end of the world, her words made me feel all warm and cozy;
my heart beating a little calmly.
"Do you want me to massage that cute little head of yours?
 Will that make you feel better?"She winked.
"I would love to,But Hayate would make fun of me all my life  if he caught you doing this." I said.
We laughed.

Kumi went to help Hana with the cooking when we were done with the tents.
The boys returned and were in a desperate need of help with the bonfire.

"How do you even light these things up?" Yuto asked in desperation.
I went to help.
We made a circle with the larger logs they had brought and put in the smaller logs in between.
The floor was still not yet dry so a little fuel was needed.
"There, now light it up," I said.
"Perfect,it will work like a charm." I said,as Hayate lit up the bonfire.
The flames suddenly rose up looking like a beautiful nightmare in this dark dreamy place.
"We will have to put out the fire once we go to bed, the lodge owner had said."
"Will do."
As soon as we were done, the smell of delicious Sukiyaki made up its way to our nostrils.
We went to check.

"You guys made a Sukiyaki hotpot! This looks awesome!" Yuto yelled in excitement.
"Hana made the most, I just helped with the Miso soup," said Kumi.

We sat around the bonfire to eat, we all just realized that we were starving,the dangos seemed a distant dream to my stomach.
I looked up,Mt. Fuji still was still hiding behind those clouds to my disappointment.I wondered why it needed such protection and privacy.

"So what now?" asked Hayate when every last drop of the soup was over.
"I can't even keep my eyes open now, that was one heck of a dinner," said Yuto, yawning.
"I'm tired too with all that walking and stuff." said Hana.
Honestly, we all were.
My headache wasn't getting any better and Fuji-san won't stop hiding so it was decided that we all go and get some rest.
The girls went into their tents and us boys into ours.
In just a matter of few minutes we were all snoring, at least Hayate was.





I had always been a light sleeper and so whispers of a soft footstep outside our tent were caught up by my ears and I woke up.
I checked the time, it was 1 am.
My headache still persisted and I was feeling really uncomfortable and suffocated in there.
I checked Hayate and Yuto were fast asleep.
It was safe to go outside.
I went out and was mesmerized by the moonlight brightening up the ocean and its nearby flora.
I looked up in excitement, the sky was finally clear.
Mt.Fuji was finally staring right back at me.
I smiled.
I thought of waking Kumi up when I heard the same soft footsteps behind me.
She was already awake.

"This is what you wanted to show us hmm?" She said while looking beyond the ocean and towards the mountain we all unconditionally loved.
"How is it?" I asked.
"You are a really romantic person Mr Kobayashi," she said, running her fingers over my lips.
I blushed.
" Shall I tell you a secret?"
"Sure," she said.
I leaned in and whispered in ears.
"Before I had met you I thought this view was the most beautiful thing in this world."
"After meeting  you, I went into a quit dilemma."
"That is why I wanted to come here."
"Now it's clear."
She blushed.
I turned towards Mt Fuji and said.
"Sorry Fuji-san, but I  have finally found someone more beautiful than you."

We kissed, I held her tightly, my hands on her waist.
It was a different feeling today.
The ocean, the beautiful view, the frosty weather, the thought of being caught, it all added up to create a vivid atmosphere, which I'll never forget.

"Are you in a mood to hear one more secret, hoping you won't spill it out to the others?" I said, breaking the kiss.
"I'm all ears." She whispered.

"I love you, Kumi Ishikawa."
She froze.
"I never ever, even in my  most beautiful dreams all my life would have thought that I'll be in love again."
"I never thought I'll be alive again."
"You saved me."
"That's why I never said it until now, but now I knew it was the right moment."
"You're all I think about."
"You have been on my mind from  the moment I first noticed you, the moment you came to talk to me."
I held her face in my arms as she continued to stare at me, her big brown eyes wide open, her pupils expanded to its maximum, I could see my reflection in it, I had her whole attention.

"At some time I perhaps doubted the fact that you and I could ever be a thing. I had  been this dumb, delinquent and a damaged person."
"You, on the other hand, the persona of beauty and perfection."

"You are as beautiful as they come." She said, kissing my forehead.

"I love you, Kumi. Call me selfish but I don't ever wanna let you go."
"You saved me."

She was speechless, but her face said it all.
A tear dropped down her cheeks and unto her neck.

I kissed it, her neck, the sweetest thing I had ever tasted.
She closed her eyes, as I continued to kiss every cell of her skin.
We went all the way.

It was the most romantic night of my life, the most beautiful moment.
A tale I thought I would tell our children one day.
Yes, I wanted to marry her, one day.

But of course, destiny had something else in mind.
I do not have any memory of what happened next.
All I know is that I had this incredibly sharp pain on the back of my head,
A pain so intense, it made the time stop.

The next thing I know, I'm lying in the ICU of a hospital.

TO BE CONTINUED.

















0 comments: