series.

Life is a cherry blossom tree.(Chapter 8)

10:15 Shrey Katsura 0 Comments


He lied there, motionless, his head covered in bandages, his right hand inside the white hospital blanket he was covered with,
the left one  sticking out with a pulse oximeter clipped to its index finger, a heart rate monitor kept on a table to his left,
which made a beep sound every now and then, the sound which scared me more than that jump scares from the horror movies.
I had to get out, but I couldn't just leave him like this.
I looked at my watch, it was 7.30 am.

But I couldn't just leave him.

I stood up and went to the washroom, just like my mind, my face was a mess too.
My hair all intertwined, my face all pale and white with dark circles below my eyes.
My eyes itself, as he used to say " crystal clear like an ocean in the morning" were now brimming with red veins here and there,
the results of my crying.
We had brought him exactly 24 hours ago to the nearest  nursing home  due to the result of uttermost pain in his back head,
so intense that he faded.
It had freaked me out.
All I could do was cry and shout out to Yuto for help, who came running out of his tent, looking all confused and shocked as if he didn't know where we were and who was I.

His parents phone not reachable, all he had was me and Yuto; Hayate was with Hana.
We carried him down to here.
The doctors had run some tests but it still wasn't clear what was wrong in his brain.
He gained consciousness once but we weren't allowed to see him.
Since then he had been sleeping non-stop.
I didn't dare disturb him.



A splash of cold water made me think a little better.
I had to get out for some fresh air.
I went out to the lobby to find Yuto seating on the bench, looking absent-mindedly towards the wall.
He smiled feebly as he saw me approaching.

"You look a mess," he said
"So do you."

"Wanna get some tea?" he asked.
"Sure," I said as we walked to the hospital's cafeteria.
"So is he awake yet?" Yuto asked.
"Nope, still sleeping like a log."

"Bastard, well its obvious considering the fact that he almost never sleeps at his house for long, all those sleep deprived days are hitting him now." He said.
We laughed if only he would wake up early today too just like any other day.
I so wished.

After the tea, we went out of the hospital.
Yuto said that the food there made him sick so we decided to go out for a walk and have breakfast along the way.


It was a warm day relatively and the sun was out, Rin never really liked such days.
He preferred the dark clouds, synced with his mind he said.

"You okay?" Yuto asked.
I didn't know what to say.

It was awkward, Yuto and I had never been alone together.
I had to get myself together, he was going to be fine.

"Yuto, how did you met Rin?" I asked, not knowing why.
It took him by surprise.

"Umm, the first day of the new term.
"He was sitting there all quietly his face buried into his cellphone when everyone else was busy getting to know each other.
I found it a little strange so I just went and sat next to him." He continued.
"Turned out, he was reading this  manga I liked."
"That was when I spoke to him in excitement. All he did was gave me one glance and smiled when I told him I loved that manga too."
"He always spoke less, always a little lost. But soon I found out that he is a friendly soul. His looks were deceiving." He said with a smile.

I smiled too, thinking if only I had attended that class,
I would have met him 7 days earlier.


"What about you? When did you first noticed him? The speech competition?" He asked.
I closed my eyes, goosebumps all over me.
The memories of that day still vivid in my mind, as if it was just yesterday.

"No, it was way before," I said as I prepared myself to relive that roller coaster ride.




*********************************************************************************

Seven months ago....





It was the second week of the new term.
I had been away with my family on a vacation so I joined the school a little late.
I had that much freedom, considering indeed the fact that I am the youngest vice president of the Hakuo academy in history.


"Shit! My first day and I'm late!" I told myself as I ran as much fast as I could.
I stopped just outside the class "1-A",my first year of the high school.
I straightened my pony which was a mess with all the running, wiped the sweat off my face and walked in.
Thankfully sensei wasn't there.
Everybody was busy talking and laughing.
"Finally you're back! I missed you so much, girl!"
I turned around as I heard a familiar voice.

It was Arisa, a friend from junior high.
"Look here, we need to take a picture together!" She said as she took out her cellphone, joyful as she always was.
"I don't think that's a very good idea since I'm not really on any of the social networking sites." I protested.
"But I'm ain't I?" She winked.
I sighed.
There was no getting around with this girl.

"Hey, Kumi! Long time!" Toru waved from the other side of the classroom.
I waved back.

There weren't much people in this class I knew well.
The ones who did talk to me weren't really my friends, they hung out with me because I was popular.
The famous Kumi Ishikawa.

After a heck lot of greeting and waving, I decided to search for a seat.
"Dammit, I needed the first bench."  I murmured under my breathe as I looked around for an empty seat.
Unfortunately, the only seat that was empty was the last bench on the first row.
I sighed as I made my way there.

That was when I noticed him.
A cloud of darkness sitting at the second last bench.
He wore a black shirt, his face hidden behind the book he was reading.
All I could see was his untidy bangs way too big for his small head; bothering his eyes as he moved them away every now and then.
It never broke his immersion though, his eyes were focused on that book the whole time.
There were people laughing and shouting right next to him, but he didn't care.
As if he wasn't even there.

I felt cold when I came and sat just behind him.
He didn't blink an eye.

Sensei entered the class as everybody rose up to greet him.
He still didn't care.
I wondered what would have happened if he had got caught.

"Rin Kobayashi."
"Present," he said, without lifting his eyes up.


Rin huh? Never heard that name before.
Finally, he closed the book he was reading and I managed to catch a name.
'Norwegian wood.' It said.
His wrist, I noticed where small and looked weaker than most of the boys his age.


I couldn't focus on the lecture.
His hair kept distracting me.

Why were the bangs so uneven?
Why hadn't he made any attempt to comb his chocolate coloured hair?
Was his head a complete mess too?

The bell rang and it was lunchtime.
I stood up and went outside as quickly as I could.
I felt weird, a bit sick.
I swore not to sit anywhere near him.

After the recess ended, I went back to the class, Arisa blabbering next to me about something related to the field trip.
I couldn't care less.
I looked around, thankfully the 3rd seat in the middle row was now vacant as somebody was clearly bunking the lectures.
I was just going to get my bag from the last seat when I saw him.
His face, he was leaning onto to the desk. His face towards the window.
He kept staring outside as if searching for something.
His eyes, small but perfectly aligned didn't blink.
Was he even alive?

Suddenly he smiled.
I finally got a proper look at his face.
They were like a baby's.
His skin looked soft with no freckles around.

What would have happened to this innocent soul?
I wondered.
He looked completely harmless, at least by his looks.

I blushed.
I had been staring at him for way too long.
My legs started to walk towards the last bench and wouldn't move an inch when I reached there.
For some reason, I sat there again.
He still hadn't noticed me.
I had walked right past him.



The lectures continued, as I kept staring at him the entirety of it.
He looked like a paradox I couldn't solve.
His face didn't give a hint of what he had been through.
It was completely blank.
I couldn't read him, at all.




The next morning I came a bit early, hoping to get the first seat.
The class was empty when I came to my delight.
I sat on the first bench of the middle row.


I was just adjusting my hair when I saw him enter.
I froze.
He walked as if I wasn't there.
No gesture towards me, nothing.
He was in his own world.

To be honest, I felt bad.
Did I look that bad?
Why would he completely ignore me?
Why would he ignore everyone?


He came and sat right where he was sitting yesterday.
Took out his book and started reading.
I didn't exist for him.
His nose, I hadn't seen such a perfectly shaped one in my entire life.
Why did everything about him look so perfect and terrible at the same time?

During the lunch break, Arisa and I were discussing the school festival when I saw a tall, skinny looking guy talking to Rin.
I thought he had no friends.

"Who's that?" I asked Arisa, interrupting her.
"That? He's Yuto Ayasaki."
"He was in Sakura high before transferring here."
"He's cute right?"
"Umm a little, I thought I saw him in the student council meeting the other day." I lied.
"What about the guy he's talking to?" I asked, my fingers crossed.
"Oh, he's Rin-boring-Kobayashi.
He shifted to Shinjuku just a while back.
Yuto is the only person I had seen him talking to, most of the time he's hiding behind that stupid book he carries around everywhere or that headphone of his." She said, making a disgusted face.
This Rin certainly wasn't anybody's favourite it seemed.

It was another three-hour stretch before I could go home.
It was the first time in years I hadn't been enjoying my lectures.
What was up with me?


Outside the school gates, I started to walk towards home alone.
My big blue coloured sony headphone gifted by my big brother my company for the rest of the way.
I was just crossing 'The Katsura coffee shop' when I saw him coming out.

God knows why I flipped and hid behind the dustbin just beside the shop.
As usual, he didn't notice me and continued to walk.
I decided to follow him.
What was I doing?

He kept his head down for most of the time, trying to avoid any contact as much as possible.
He stopped once to take out his headphones from the bag(I had to hide behind an electric pole) and then started walking again.
What was I doing?
Why did he seem so interesting?
He seems like a person you could write a ballad about.
Should I one?

These thoughts crossed my mind as I continued to follow him.
He took a right turn from the Shibuya crossing.
The place was crowded as always and I nearly lost him on the way.
Dammit, where did he live?
And why on earth was I following him as if he was a magnet for my legs?

'Cause I can't help it if you look like an angel,
Can't help it if I wanna kiss you in the rain.'


As I battled with my mind, I lost sight of him.
He disappeared like a wizard.
The song ringing in my ears weren't helpful at all.
My heart sank, hopeless and tired I started walking towards home.


"I'm home!" I said as I entered my house.
Nobody answered.
I looked into the kitchen and the drawing room, mom was probably out for shopping.

Good, I didn't need hearing for coming late anyways.
I walked up the stairs, my legs dragging my mind down.

Sounds of gunshots came from the other side of my room, my little sister's room.
I slid it open.

"Yui how many times I have to tell you to greet back whenever someone yells 'I'm home'?" I asked as she chose to completely ignore me, her eyes focused on the game she was playing.
"Big sister, welcome home." She said, without even looking at me.
I sighed.
"At least keep the volume down you freak," I said as I stumbled out of her bedroom.
Jeez, kids these days. Don't they know what outdoor games are?

I went into my bedroom and jumped over the bed.
My head aching with all the happenings of the day.
"I feel sick."

My phone buzzed at that moment and distracted me from the deep dark zone my mind was at that moment.
It was a text from Kuzuki, my neighbour, my best friend.

"Weren't we supposed to walk back together after school?
And what about the song you were gonna write?
The music festival ain't far you know.
Give me a call when you have  written a few lines."

Shit! I totally forgot we had to write a new song for the upcoming music fest at our school.
I sprang back to life and onto my study table.
Kuzuki would kill me if I don't give him a rough sketch by tomorrow.
I had been ignoring this for way too long.

"Ahh! My life sucks!" I moaned as I leaned onto the table.
What should I write about?
I wondered.
What is the most interesting thing I could think about?
And then it clicked.
"Rin Kobayashi."

********************************************************************************

"You wrote that  for him?" Yuto asked, dumbstruck.
It was embarrassing, I looked away.
"Yes, I had to.
I found him so interesting.
So beautiful and terrible at the same time.
I just couldn't get him out of my mind."
"That night, I ended up writing a poem.
The only poem I ever wrote.
Never imagined, he would be listening to it one day." I blushed as I said all that.

"Well, does he know it's for him?"Yuto asked.
"He doesn't.
Back when we started texting, he praised it a lot.
I was embarrassed, I thought it would spook him if I told it was for him.
After we started dating, we never came around to this topic so I let it be." I said, not knowing why I was telling Yuto all of this.
Maybe I had to just let it out.

"What happened next?" Yuto asked.
"Well you see, I had sort of lost hope that he would ever notice me.
So I started to retract, started focusing on what was important, my duties as the vice president, my music career and my studies.
Of course till the day that speech competition happened, which changed my life forever.


I closed my eyes again, recalling that day, the day I actually fell in love with him.
The day he noticed me for the first time.
*********************************************************************************
"Arisa do you remember what  topic are we speaking about?" I asked as I faced Arisa who was hiding her face behind her smartphone.
I hoped one day she would get caught using this in the classroom.
"Uh,yes-yes I guess? Something about uniqueness in personality I guess?" She said, confused.
I sighed.
"Arisa didn't I sent you the script last night? Don't tell me you never even checked it." I asked in frustration.
I knew something like this was gonna happen, I should have never made her my partner.
"I-I'm sorry Kumi, I was out on a date with Okazaki-kun last night, I totally forgot." She said, not feeling at all guilty.
I hated it, It meant that we won't be able to give our presentation today even though I was fully prepared.
That meant a bad impression on Yumi sensei and effect my reputation as the vice president altogether.
I buried my face onto the desk as sulkiness took over.
So much for having a partner.



Yumi sensei continued to yell, I decided to take a nap amidst all this when I heard two guys were ready to speak.
"Well Good luck to them." I murmured under my breath as I closed my eyes.
Toru and wait, Did I heard it right? Rin Kobayashi was gonna speak?
I sprang back to life.

I couldn't believe my eyes.
He walked onto the stage as if he was the knight in a shining armour.
He didn't look back, he didn't hesitate, he just walked onto the stage as confident as one could be.
Was it actually him? And  Toru Watanabe, our class topper lurking in his shadows?
What was going on? It was all surreal.

He started speaking, his voice soft as serpents breathe.
There was this immense seriousness on his face when he spoke but it changed depending on the content he touched.
He spoke about mental illness and depression which was a no-brainer.
There was no doubt he had been through some shit, poor soul, he looked so innocent.
His fingers intertwined with each other as he spoke, they showed how strong he became when he was on the stage,
His long silky hair, falling on his face, playing hide and seek with his eyes, but he didn't care.
He didn't move them. He was fully devoted to what he was speaking.

What was happening to me?
My whole body was burning up.
My face all red, my hands shivering, what was this feeling?

Just like me, everyone else was in an utter state of amazement too, nobody had heard his voice before.
Some thought till now that he couldn't speak.
But nobody was affected the way I was.
I had to talk to him.

Once we were done for the day, my legs started to walk as if hypnotized.
It took me to where he was, actually laughing and talking to his friend Yuto.
I had never seen this side of him, I didn't imagine such a side existed.
What was I supposed to?
My heart won't stopping beating.
I'm standing just next to him.
He's getting up, ready to leave the class.
It's now or never.....

"Hey. You spoke really well. I wasn't aware that there were good speakers in our class. Good job there."
"I'm Kumi Ishikawa by the way, It's nice to meet you."


********************************************************************



"And that's it, I never thought it would turn out like this, but well here we are," I said as I opened my eyes.
Looking up at the sky, Thanking God for this insane yet beautiful journey.



"He's lucky to have you, you know," Yuto said.
"I have seen the way he looks at you, the way he smiles when you're around."
"I compare that to when I first met him and realized how far he has come."
"And its all because of you." He smiled when he said that.
I had goosebumps all over me.

Was he lucky? I didn't know.
But was I?
Because of him, I found a soft corner inside me, a part I thought it didn't exist inside the cruel, stone-hearted Kumi Ishikawa.
He made me believe that I'm human too.
Not just a robot, born for doing every little thing the right way.
He made me believe in hope that I kept searching for in Adam's music all along.
 I didn't save him, He saved me, from myself.



TO BE CONTINUED.

























 

0 comments: