series.

Life is a cherry blossom tree.(Chapter 5)

01:03 Shrey Katsura 0 Comments



Magic, do you know what it is?
It's the feeling of being alive.
To be able to feel yourself, some people say.

I think magic is being able to dream.
A world where you could be whatever you want, whenever you want.
You could be a hero, a villain, a god or just a common man.
But in the end it's your creation.
You can mould it the way you want, that is what magic feels like.

What if it exists in the real world too?

"Aww,someone is blushing in  their sleep." Hana said looking down at me.
"I would have  actually hugged  that someone if he were wearing some clothes on or for the matter,wouldn't have made me wait  outside their door for an hour." She smiled and kicked me on my shins.
"Ouch! What? who!" I woke up startled and screamed seeing Hana in my house.
"Hana! What are you doing here? ?" I asked curiously,rubbing my eyes as I wore the nearest shirt I could grab; Thank god I had my jeans on.

"Well you didn't come for dinner last  night at Yuto's place and he was kind of worried about you,so he sent me to check on you." She said as she put on the soiled dishes over the dish maker.
"C'mon get up,I'm making the breakfast.It's school time."  She grinned at me.

I got up, holding my head, that was a terrible ending to a  such a beautiful dream, I wondered.
"You were  smiling in your sleep.Who were you dreaming about ?" Hana winked; I swear it seemed she had seen what I was seeing.
I blushed."What? No! I-I didn't dream at all."
I dreamed about kissing Kumi.
Before she caught my crimson face, I went to wash it.


Looking in the mirror, I blushed.
That was something of a dream eh?
Last night was a sort of a dream too after I texted Kumi.




"Bro,please make your  bed every once in a while,and clean up that mess from the floor whatever it is." Hana  commanded as I  returned back to the living room.
That mess is my PlayStation, lady.
"You know,you should be more responsible." She continued.
"Says the girl who was leaning unto me the other day when drunk." I murmured.

Phew,I had to change fast or we would have missed the train.
"What are you cooking?" I asked as I heard utensils colliding and frying pans being fried in the kitchen.
"Hard-boiled eggs and curry rice,Oh and I  threw away  all the empty  cereal boxes you had been storing for whatsoever reason." She grinned as I frowned.This girl had some grinning issues.



" Hey Hana,Can you boil a pair of extra eggs? For lunch?" I asked embarrassingly.
"Sure.But you never take lunch? Why today? Are you meeting someone at lunch break lover boy?" She grinned that grin again.
I blushed.

Yes, I was meeting, Kumi.
She invited me to the Student council headquarters during the lunch break today.
She was the vice president of the Hakuo Academy.
Why would such an ambitious person want to hang out with a loser like me?

"Yes,I'm meeting Kumi Ishikawa for some work at the student council headquarters today,I don't  want to go empty-handed." I said trying not to make an eye contact.
"Well well,That's some news.I wonder what the work is.
Dude do tell me if everything goes well." She winked.
What does she think was gonna happen in there?



It was a long three hours wait till the lunch break.
I sat at the left most side of the row, near the window, at the second last bench.
She, on the other hand, was sitting on the first bench of the row next to mine.
I kept staring at her hair,it was shining like a black coal unhindered.
She didn't keep a high pony today, Was it because of me?
I never told her she looks beautiful either way.

I laid down my head on the desk and kept on recalling the events of the last night.
How I had apologized hundreds of times for texting her without taking her consent.
I made a mess, I was so nervous.
She didn't seem to mind though.

She never turned back.I kept looking at her.
She was fully devoted towards what the sensei was teaching.
What was he teaching anyways?

Why do I always end up with high profile girls? I wondered.
Maybe I wasn't as boring as I thought, my choices were really interesting.

We talked for quite some time last night,about the speech competition,about school in general,about our other interests outside of owl city but not about the events of that night.
She also had a thing for poetry, she had sent me one of them.
I had slept listening to it, still revolving around in my head.


The bell rang and I sprang back to life,a little nervous.My heart beat faster than a bullet train.
"Bitch,you coming to the cafeteria?" Yuto asked.
He was sitting behind me.
"Uh,no.I have some work,I'll see you after the break?" I told him as I got up to leave.



The student council room was at the top of the Hakuo Academy, at a whooping 11th floor.
I had never been there.
Only the council members were allowed.
I had no idea what I was gonna say if somebody asked me what I'm doing there.

I knocked, twice thrice.
"Come in, its open!" she shouted from inside as I pushed the door open.
She was standing by the president's desk, smiling as I came in.
There was no one else in there.

"Where are the other members?" I asked in confusion.
"Oh, they will be here any minute." she smiled.
"Come to the terrace,you can see the entire Shinjuku from here." She said as she walked  away towards the terrace.
"I can't, I'm scared of heights," I told her, looking away.
Damn I was useless.

"Really?" She chuckled.
I was probably a joke now.

"Yes, back when I was six years old, I fell out of a two-floor building.
My head busted open and there was blood everywhere.
All I remember was my mother carrying me towards the hospital, her white kimono covered in my blood.
That incident still haunts me." I told her all of this in one breathe;I don't know why I did.
None of my friends knew about this.

"God! What happened then? I'm so sorry I didn't know." She gasped.She looked terrified and upset.
"Nothing. I fainted I guess,I don't have any memory of it.
Mom and  dad never told and I never asked." I smiled.
"I did get a scar on the leftmost side of my forehead though." I said while lifting my hair up to show her the scar.

She came close and touched it.
My whole body went numb.
She felt so cold.
I could feel her breathe on my face.

"Come." She said as she grabbed my hands and took me to the edge of the ceiling.
I kept my eyes closed, shaking.
She held up my hands even more tightly, trying to assure me that it will be okay.
"Open your eyes Rin,I'm here.There's nothing to be afraid of."
I could feel my hands sweaty, I held onto her, our sweat intertwined.
One eye at a time, I tried opening them, the sun gaze making it difficult for me to see.
But when I saw, I couldn't keep my eyes away from it.

The entire Shinjuku skyscraper were visible like a tiny hill.
It looked like an artist's work, A handcrafted view.
Shinjuku had never looked so beautiful.

Tears rolled down my cheeks.
I had overcome one of my fear, little did I know it was just the beginning.
She wasn't one of those people.
She wanted to save me.
This was the moment I realized that I was in love.
I was in love with Kumi Ishikawa.


I looked at her,she was smiling,her mesmerizing smile,her uneven teeth.She had a lot of them.
I could look at her forever.
"Do you want to eat curry rice and  hard-boiled eggs? I made them." I asked her grinning.
Hana was a life saver.


School ended with me trying to look down every balcony I could find.
Unfortunately, I wasn't very brave alone.
I guess it was her presence that made me strong.

"Hey fuck face! We going to  your place?" Hayate asked me after the classes has ended.
"Sure, the plan is still up buddy." I smiled and patted his back.

I had promised Hayate that we would play "Injustice 2" on my Playstation after school today.
"Is Yuto coming with us?" Hayate asked.

Every once in a while, Me Hayate and Yuto would hang around at my place to play Playstation and eat junk food.
Yuto would generally eat up everything as he watched us play.

"No,he's probably busy with the club auditions.Let's go."
I put on my headphones on the way back to avoid any conversation.
All I could think of was the lunch break incident.
About Kumi, I couldn't stop thinking about her.
Looking at the sky, I smiled.
Gratitude was all I could think of.

"So how are things with our vice president going my boy? Hayate asked teasingly.
"Pretty good,we kissed today at the school terrace." I winked back.
"Oh you wish!" He said as we started laughing.


We came back to my place.
My PlayStation was lying down at the foot of my bed as usual.
"Damm, I could really do with some cleaning."
"Hey you owe me a treat, after all, it was me who encouraged you to talk to her," Hayate said punching me on the arm.
"And you owe me around 10-15 payback treats and a huge amount of cash for every hour you spent on my PlayStation." I got back onto him.
Spending time with Hayate improved everybody's humour.


"Haha! Seems like the ultimate pro of gaming is having a bad day!" Hayate shouted in a sing-song voice.
"That's your 7th loss baby,Who's the real pro here now? ME! Hayate Watanabe!"
The bastard danced around pointing at himself.

Well honestly, I couldn't focus on anything that day, not even the video games.
All I could think about was the moment, the moment she held my hands as if she was transferring my responsibility from god to herself.
Why would she do that?
Should I ask her out?


"Good for you bitch.Now can we stop? I have to go to the public library now,do some reading." I told Hayate,hoping he wouldn't tag along.
Of course, he would never tag along.

"Now? well Okay.Mind if I stay here and play?" He asked.
"Sure, as long as you pay the bills." I winked.
I wore my jacket and went out to call her.
Should I or should I not?
Damn, why couldn't I ever take decisions at the right time?

I took a deep breathe and called.
"Hey, Kumi."
"Hey, Rin."
Awkward silence.
"Do-do you wanna hang out now ?" I asked my fingers crossed.
"Sure. Where are we meeting?" She asked smiling.
My heart probably skipped a beat.

"Ah,meet me at the Katsura's coffee shop near the school in about 20 minutes."  I said.
"Sure, see you there."


TO BE CONTINUED.

















0 comments: