series.

Life is cherry blossom tree.(Chapter 4)

01:58 Shrey Katsura 0 Comments




"Come on guys! Who wants to sing? Or should I start the next round again" Hana laughed and fumbled with her words as she tried to maintain her high on alcohol body.
We all laughed too,at least that's what she thought..

If there was one thing that Shinjuku high schoolers did a lot was to go to a karaoke house,and Hana was at the top of that list.
Every week she would go at least once with us or her other friends which we didn't know much about.

So Saturday after school, she invited us again and I pitched in because I didn't really have anything else to do.
Actually, it was more like a change I needed.
So there we were.
Me, Hayate, Yuto and Hana sitting in a circle at this strangely squashed of a karaoke place at the Golden Gai district.

We came here at around 2 in the noon and by 3, Hana didn't even remember how many glasses of Lager she had by then.
"You're aware that she's your responsibility right? I'm not dropping her off to her hostel in that condition." I told Yuto with a stern look.
He smiled feebly,of course, he smiled. He didn't have any option.


Hana started singing again, more like shouting this familiar anime song called "Curry Nochi rice."
Jumping around and fumbling with breath she sang at the top of her voice.
Me and Hayate exchanged glances and sighed.
She was totally spoiling "Aki Toyosaki's" charismatic performance as Yui in "K-on!".
Yuto, on the other hand, was enjoying it,of course, he was enjoying it.

"I'm going outside to get some fresh air okay?" I told Yuto who listened with least interest and nodded.
I had to get out,it was suffocating in here.
As  I got up Hana grabbed my hands.
"Where do you think you're going?" She asked seductively.
Damn that was scary.
"Away from you." I told her smiling and pushed her onto Yuto who became crimson at the instant.

I walked out.
I couldn't really bear being in a group for long.
That is how I was.



The golden gai district, famous for its classic Japanese style narrow lanes, sleazy bars and nightlife was a monumental place.
In the evening high schoolers hung around this place and by night it was a completely different environment
 with working adults coming here to enjoy Japanese cuisine and love hotels which the district was known for.



It had been two days since the incident with Kumi at the tree house.
I didn't tell anyone, in fact except Yuto nobody even knew that we met Kumi Ishikawa in Nagoya.
She wasn't back it seems as I didn't see her at school today, yes I was keeping an eye out for her.

My head was a whirlwind of pain after I received a text from Isumi Akishino.
There were more of "why's then "what''.

Isumi and I, we met at an Anime expo at  Kyoto seven years ago.
I wasn't much of an antisocial person back then.
I was energetic, talkative and semi extrovert kind.
We were in the same booth, she and I;
 Waiting to buy the signed copy of the newly released volume of our favourite manga.

Isumi was a sort of a person whom you would take an immediate liking to.
She had this shining personality, she was easy to talk to and very friendly.
She was drop dead gorgeous, which was just a cherry on the top.
I didn't really found such personalities back in my hometown so I really had a thing for her since day one.
And it seemed she had too, given she was so much into me.


We talked for hours that day, about our favourite characters, the different animes we watched and if we ever had to write a fan fiction then what would it be about.
Back then I didn't really use to talk to girls of my age so it was kind of a new experience for me.

It took around one thousand and eighty hours of spending time together in a span of just two months to realize that we loved each other.
And what sort of love was that? It was an innocent, cute, simple with a pinch of jealousy kind of a love, at least at the beginning.
.

Of course, except of few similar hobbies and the fact that we were in love, we both were largely very different and none of us was to blame for all the difficult time we went through.
We were too young to understand all of that.

Isumi belonged to a royal family, who for some reason still believed in royal blood and all that bullshit in the  21st century.
I, on the other hand, was a sort of low life according to her family's perspective.
Not that I cared though, my family had its own reputation where I lived.
We were royal on the basis of our work, our profession and my parents never let me forget that.

But since day one I had this thing inside me telling that I'm a low life,
I'm an inferior force when compared to her, because of course, she was everywhere.
You name it-Academics, sports, dance, whatever she put her sights on, she mastered that thing.
That was Isumi Akishino, true to her name, true to her ancestors.
Me on the other hand? Let's not even talk about it.
Let's just say I was better at different things, things which she did approve of but I was so deep in that inferiority complex level that I didn't like myself anymore.
That is how I lost faith in me, that is where the trouble began.
And the worst part is, she didn't help at all.



I looked up, the sun was hiding behind the distant clouds.I had been leaning against this small bridge for quite some time.
I got a text from Hayate telling that they were going off for dinner at Yuto's place after some time and I could join them if I want.
I decided to decline as I wasn't really in the mood to hang out.

In entire of the Shinjuku, there was only one place where you could find cherry blossoms and that was Shinjuku gyoen -national park.
It was a beautiful - happy place, where children, couples and families all hung out together with nobody minding anybody's business.
I often went there as it was the nearest place where I could find some solitude, besides I could always do with some cherry blossoms around.

So I went, taking the bus which was a 15 minutes ride; my headphones plugged in the entirety of the journey.


Isumi had become my weakness by the end of our one month of the relationship.
We spent almost all the time together, not physically, of course, she lived hundreds of miles away from me.
But we were connected, always.
Back then, all I needed was her, and she needed me, We had become one.
Of course, as my father always told me, the excess of anything is bad, even love; especially love.


I reached Shinjuku gyoen by 4pm, the place was surprisingly deserted today.
In the north corner, there was a baseball court, it wasn't huge though so only children went there,
In the eastern side, there were lush green gardens which proved to be a perfect hideout for a couple desperate not to be seen.
On the right-hand side, in the west direction where the cherry blossom trees where families hung out.
There were strict orders to keep the area clean and eco-friendly but who cared?
The place was filled with soda cans and left-over foods almost all the time.

I found a clean spot, in the shade of an old weary cherry blossom tree.
Her petals were floating all around it, making it look heavenly.
I lied down there and closed my eyes.


It had been almost a year since we broke up, or she broke up, or was it me? Who knows.
It wasn't pretty. We didn't end up on good terms.
The last thing I heard from her was that she never wanted to hear my voice, not even think about me ever again.
It was her birthday, and I had made a scene.
I believe it was my fault, but the build-up of it wasn't.

I sighed.
Everything happens for a reason I guess.
Last I recall,she found a  boyfriend at her new school.
For a girl as splendid of a  personality as her's, it was a piece of cake.

The good thing was that she was happy, and I respected her and her decision no matter what we went through.
At least till I received her text two days ago.
Life is weird isn't?

I was just about to doze off peacefully when I got a knock on my head.
I sprang back to life instantly, shocked.

"Look who I bumped  into in  the middle of nowhere!" He chuckled.
He gave me a hand to lift me up and we hugged.
"Goodness gracious Soma! It has been two years!"

Soma Yamamoto was my benchmate back in the first year of my middle school.
Back then we were close, he knew about my relationship with Isumi and I  was hoping he would not ask me about her.
"Dude you look great! Where have you been and what the hell are you doing here?" I acknowledged.

He indeed looked different. Last time I met him,he was a cluttered mess.
Now he looked neat, smart actually. What on earth was he up to,I wondered.

"Nothing such" he laughed off.I got a job actually,at the nearby warehouse.
My uncle was in charge of that place and now he handed me half of his business and I'm more than happy to cooperate." He grinned.
"Wow,that's some news!" I exclaimed."What about your schooling man?"
"Hey,who wants to study when you have cash in your pocket." He winked.
"Fair enough." I nodded my head in approval as I went deep into my thoughts.

Soma was a delinquent of a person back then, always getting into trouble, a total mess.
Seeing this utter transformation was a pleasant shock and it made me wonder, do people really change so much?

"Stop staring at me you hetro bastard and let's go get some drink,its on me." He said as he caught me gawking at him.
"But-but I don't drink." I tried protesting.
"C'mon its time you become a man." He said as he dragged me off the park.

We went to the Kabukichco district of the Shinkuju, the red light district of the city also known as the "Sleepless town".
"Are we even allowed in here?" I asked him.I was underage after all.
"Relax,you're with me, I'm a regular here."
I looked at him, he looked so mature now, not because of the grizzly beard he kept, but because of the way he talked, he behaved and even the way he walked.
Money do change people.

We went to a bar called "Itsuki Okami", also known as the lone wolf.
The red and blue neon lights filled my eye sights and as I got accustomed to it,I saw quite a few higher class middle aged men sitting and gossiping with their colleagues in an orderly  fashion with
each table offering only three seats.
The women who served the drinks were wearing glossy red, deep neck dresses up to their knees and I wondered whether waitressing was their only job.
"It's their costume for today ,these waitresses are made to dress differently every day depending upon the theme they are given," Soma told me as he caught me gawking at them.
"Of-of course I know this." I stuttered.

We took the seat nearest to the bartender as Soma went and ordered, he seemed to know the guy.
"Get me a bottle of Merlot for my friend right here,and the usual for me." He smiled at the bartender.
He greeted a few other people in the bar, especially the waitresses; he seemed to know them all.

"So how's everything? How's  it going with your girl Isumi?" He asked with a devilish smile as he came back and sat in front of me.
"I was hoping you would avoid that." I told him as he looked at me curiously.
"We broke up last year, it wasn't working out."
"And?" He asked raising his eyebrows up.
"What? That's it." I told trying to avoid his gaze.
"Dude I'm not stupid,if this would have happened last year , you would be looking all  good and happy, but right now you looked fucked.So tell me,what else?" He asked again.
When did he become this smart?

"Well, She texted me two days ago."
"And?"

I took a sip from that sick looking bottle of Merlot, it tasted of sour grapes and...soap.

"And she texted me to make me feel  bad, flaunting about her new boyfriend, her lavish life, her good results and so on."
 I rolled my eyes, hoping a tear wouldn't drop or else he won't let me forget this till the day I die.
"Fuck dude! That's sick! And what did you do?" He asked.
"Nothing, my head hurt, I couldn't withstand her once sweet voice, now it was like a vermin to me.
I was shaking,sweating.I told her to stop,I wasn't willing to listen,but she didn't stop.She went on and on.
Flaunting exaggeratedly about her so perfect life,hinting about how I could have been a part of all that,but I failed,and now all I deserve is misery." I blurted everything out.
I couldn't control myself, maybe I had to let it out, all the anger, all the sadness that had built up in the last two days.

"Shit,she really turned out to be a bitch isn't it?" He asked with a concerned  look.
Taking a deep breath I said,
"Yes, and it's a good thing she showed me her real side.
Now there's no remorse. Everything's over."

"Good for you mate.These girls man,They do whatever they want,they get whatever they want.
If you have money, you can control them for some time, and then you got to  let them go."
He stopped to take a sip of wine from his bottle and continued.
"All I'm saying is that whatever they say to you,whatever they do to you,don't take them by heart, take them by ass." He said as the people sitting next to us started gushing over what he just said.
"Fuck their asses harder the next time mate, take it out there, not on your heart. This is what I learnt in the last few years.
Women will always have their way around in this world because they have what we need and "we" have what they need-money.
It's like a barter system, it will always be this way."
"Right now, I have women flocking around me because of my money.
Remember Sakurai? The girl I had a crush on back then?" he asked.
"Yes I do, She wasn't into you then," I told him.
"Well she's now." He chuckled as he took another sip.
"As soon as she found out that  I got a job, she started texting me, pretending to be a friend, flirting.
Can you believe that?"
"Hard to," I told him.
"Well, it's the truth." He ordered another bottle for himself, I still had just tasted mine once.
"I'm no fool now, I have women whenever I want, whenever I need. I certainly don't need her.
You get a good job, you get a good girl.
This is what you need to mate.
Don't let them get the upper hand, and when they try to, let them go.
Don't take it by heart." He winked.


As I walked back home after this chance encounter with Soma, All I could do was wonder, were all women and the men same?
Is this how the real world works? Like a barter system?
Were things like love, hope and honesty no more?
Heck,I wasn't saint.I would masturbate thinking about my former girlfriend Isumi even now,
that's  how I satisfied and calmed myself after every  panic attack I got.
I knew it was a sin,but it helped me.I wasn't really proud of it.

 All I could think about was Kumi, was she this way too?
I had a sudden realisation of the fact that I couldn't stop thinking about her.
Even when I was telling Soma about Isumi, during the karaoke and when I was lying down in the park, all I did was imagining her. Where was she?
I hadn't seen her in two days, and it seemed like years.
I had to talk to her.

I think I blame the teensy tiny bit of alcohol I had for what I did next.
I called Hayate.
"Hey fuck face, where are you?"
"Bro,I need Kumi's cellphone number,can you get me that now?" I asked,hoping he won't ask any further questions.
He remained silent for a second and then said,"Sure, give me a minute," As he put the call on hold.
I wrote it down once he dictated it to me.
"Good luck". He said before cutting off.
I knew I could do with a little.

Taking a deep breath and looking up at the sky,
I texted "Kumi Ishikawa right?"
I immediately got a reply as if she was waiting for me.
"Who's this?" she wrote.
I texted after a minute or so,
"It's Rin."


TO BE CONTINUED.


















0 comments: