Videogames

Why single player games are so important to me-Part 1.

09:35 Shrey Katsura 0 Comments


Why videogames were made in the first place?
 As far as I can see it were made for the introvert people
who preferred staying indoors rather than interacting with the outside world.
People who  had no friends or
were too scared to interact with anyone,people who were bullied,people who were unaccepted by the
society.
People who were called freaks,people like me. The vision of those godly people who thought about us freaks
were to create a world,to create a story, to create characters we can call friends(virtual nonetheless).
And so came videgames with the likes of Metal gear solid,Resident evil,The legend of zelda,Elder scrolls and many more.
Born in the 1990's, I did missed the birth of these instant classics but I was lucky enough to be an active gamer by the time
their sequels started pouring in and thus I have memories that I'll always treasure.
I still remember the day my brother got me a copy of Biohazard 4 which is known as Resident evil 4 in the west.
I just could not put that game down no matter  how much my parents scolded me and the rough time they made me go through afterwards.
But inspite  of everything I couldn't focus on anything else until the day I beat the game. And what a game it was.
Tough as nail and that "YOU ARE DEAD" flashed more times on my screen than the death threats my parents gave me for not switching off the system which was a lot.
Leon S Kennedy is one of the most badass character with quirky sense of humor and the sexiest haircut which till date I follow.
And of course who can forget the cry baby Ashley Graham who by my understanding at that time was my first full fledged crush.
And I felt it was my duty to save her at every corner of that gruesome place we were in.
That kind of effect Resident evil 4  had on me. I was a fearless government agent trying everything to protect the girl of my dreams in a world
I had no real connection with and it felt magical. Even 11 years later from the time I played it,thinking about Ashley and the way I rescued
her and the way she never returned in any other entries which broke my heart send chills  down my spine.The long lasting impression of a video game.
Oh sorry did I miss something? I meant a full on "single player" video game.
Coming down a few years later, back in 8th grade when I had a crush on  one of my batch mates
but had  negative courage to at least go talk to her once, what did I do? At some point around that time my brother got me a new game called
Dragon age origins( Yep my brother shaped this gamer and now he regrets.*Devil's grin* ).
I had  absolutely no clue what type of a  game it was and what on Earth was I supposed to do in this.
That being said,belonging to a family which has a good taste in music,I absolutely got hooked into the game's main menu soundtrack which was well breathtaking is all
I can say. So what next? With a jaw dropping cinematic trailer I was told to create a character. This was new for me.And what did I make?
I made my character a girl.The same girl I had crush on then .Named her the  same,made her look the same.(Hey  I tried at least.)
And there she was.I couldn't stop grinning then and that is how I my journey into Freleden began.Till day I prefer dark heroic fantasy  role playing games over any other genre and back then I had
no clues what RPG's are about. I met such memorable characters throughout such as Morrigan,leliana,Alistair ,( and Hawke,Cassandra,Varic,Sera in the other entries)
in  my journey into the blighted world of Thedas and being a grey warden it was my duty to save the world and end the fifth blight. I absolutely loved the game and the genre.
Meaning all the other role playing games which I played had character creation was dedicated towards building a female lead I had some affection for and it worked like a charm.
Although I did loved the characters and their conversations with each other in Dragon age Inquisition,the quality of quest design was plummet.It felt like a cheap MMO they make these
days with garbage like collectibles to collect  and nothing else but that's a story for another time.It kills me to see how Bioware has degraded the quality of  their video games nowadays as back
 then they were my favourite developer and hence besmirched their reputation.
These were just two hugely popular and powerful video games or should I say a great piece of art that effected my imaginations and perspective  towards  fiction and real life to a great extent.
These two single player  games and many more titles are the reasons why I play video games and I'll get to that in the part two of this series of articles.
The point is people like me,people who doesn't have a  very heavy social life look for these mediums to interact with the world.To experience different kinds of emotions.But the ongoing trend of multiplayer
games have been downgrading the whole concept and the vision of videogames,atleast for me.The creativity  and innovations needed to tell a good narrative.,make memorable characters is limited to
co-op mindless shooting or collecting stuffs as I already mentioned above.This is disheartning to see.Sure there are multiplayer titles I enjoyed too.Take for example Grand theft auto online. Me and my best friend skipped schools,
faked medical issues to go home early and so much more just to level up our characters and buy a new apartment where we could  watch cartoons together while having whisky or race to Mount Gordo.
Sounds crazy right?
It was ,but I had an amazing experience.But the magic of a single player game is completely different and many of you reading this would know.Multiplayer games have the potential but they should not
be competing with the single player titles because they entice a different audience . Bethesda softworks-my favourite publisher knows this well and they continue to deliver great single player experiences but at what cost?
Dishonored 2,Wolfenstien 2 and The evil within 2 are all immserive titles and I loved exploring each of these scenarios but unfortunately the sales have been so down for them that they had to
start a petiton to save single player games. I don't know how its gonna turn out but I cannot imagine a world where there are only MMo's everywhere.If anything hinders the development of
Elder scrolls 6 I swear there's gonna be a world war 3 by us offline gamers.
I hope you enjoyed reading this and I had to let it all out because it is a major concern.We gotta save videogames for what they are.