series.

Life is a cherry blossom tree.(chapter 3)

11:03 Shrey Katsura 0 Comments






Not everyday is a bad day,some are good,really good in fact.
I believe those good days are the ones which help us get through the days when we are suffering.

You see,everybody has something that  keeps  them going,stuffs that helps them during the dark times,
Stuffs that would say to them-"Hold on a little longer,what would I do without you?"
And you would,undoubtedly ,because that is how life is.
It throws at us the biggest obstacles and problems,but it also gives us something special to hold onto.
Something you would regret if you die.

For me there were two things-Owl city and Video games,the latter I'll get to later.
Owl city was my hope towards this cruel world.
It was god's gift to me for all the trouble she made me go through.
His  music was my religion,and I was ever so grateful for  it.

I would rise up every morning listening to his music in the hope that this day would be better,and sleep listening to it thinking that the next day couldn't  be much worse.
I wasn't aware but his music made me an optimist.
I would listen and re listen to every one of his track and be left awestruck of how beautiful they were even after one thousandth time.
If magic existed,it was his music.
If I ever  wanted to do something really bad,one of those two things were to make music like him.
To give people like me hope.


So this particular day,a beautiful windy day on the last of the spring was all about his music,love,hope and serendipity.
 My favourite emotions together,which I'll always  remember.


"Jesus fucking christ! If you ever make us late for the school again,I'll kill you!" I mumbled while trying to catch my  breathe.
We reached school twenty minutes late ,thanks to Yuto.
As always he woke up late and we missed the last train to Shinagawa station,the next one was an hour later.
 We had no other option than to walk two miles.
I would have preferred running but this flower boy had  breathing issues.

Today I felt better,A little cheerful.
"No haunting nightmares were gonna affect me today."I had told myself this morning as I yawned and went back to dreaming.
You see, Owl city was coming to Nagoya,just 150 miles west of  Shinjuku to perform on his latest album and I was undoubtedly on "Cloud nine."

It was the first time he was coming to Tokyo since I shifted here.
I remember when he announced the tours last year.
I almost fell off my bed after seeing it.
I couldn't believe.
It was too surreal.

I had to work part-time at a book shop for two months  to afford a ticket for the concert.
It was hard work,But seeing him for the first time ever is like a dream come true.

So this morning was beautiful.
I was listening to my favourite track called
"The real world" while waiting for Yuto at the station.
The song's main theme from  at least what I  intercepted was to make you feel that a dreamer is always a dreamer.
And no matter how good the real world is(which is not) he/she would still be stuck in his/her dreamy world.

I connected the most with this song,because obviously  all I did was dream,about the place where words such as hatred and sin had no meaning,and were strangers would hang out together and fall in love easily under the strawberry rainfall.
Everything was pink in there,everything was bright and everyone was happy.


At the school we had to attend that speech competition again as nobody except me and Toru had given their presentation.
"I don't think she's gonna let us enter." I told Yuto.
She did however,must be because of the impression I made last week.

We came and sat next to Hayate,who was busy talking and re-assuring himself as it turned out it was his turn first.
It was funny how even the most confident guys freaked out when it came to standing on the stage alone,maybe it was normal.
I wasn't normal .

"Good luck mate."

Hayate had a very polarizing appearance.
He was short but well built.
People would make fun of him for his height but also appreciated his gym toned body.
His views about every little thing were even more polarizing than his physique.

He spoke better than I expected.
He didn't stutter much and managed to keep his audience engaged,giving that his humor helped.
I believed his performance was the best of today,of course till Kumi Ishikawa stole the stage,the audience and my heart.
She was the last one to perform.
 She knew she was going to win it.
People like her do.


There was such confidence in her eyes.
They sparkled brighter than a diamond.
Her smile  had the intensity to outshine the darkest of days.
It was difficult even looking at her with all that gaze,she was worth thousands of fireflies together.

She spoke about something like accepting yourself.
For the first few mins I tried concentrating on her content.
But then I got lost.
Lost in the ocean of her voice,that sweet voice.
Her accent was elegant.
Being a japanese,she spoke english more fluently than anyone I had ever seen.
Her tongue never slipped,nor did her confidence.
She went on for like forever.
She would walk a little with her hands folded just like I kept,turn around  and walk a little more.
She was never constant,she was change.

I was awestruck as well as enchanted.
I hadn't felt so many emotions together since a long time.



Kumi won the competition of course,I wanted to talk to her.Congratulate her.
Something inside me was dying, dying to see her again as if it was the last time I was seeing her.
Indeed I didn't see her for the rest of the school hours, she vanished right after the competition.
I had less time to worry about her than be excited for the concert.
It suddenly hit me that it was finally happening.

Amidst all the morning events,I had forgotten all about owl city.
I had forgotten about my saviour,about my religion.
Or had she taken over?


We skipped classes after the lunch break,Yuto was coming with me .
I made him listen to Owl city and he kind off  was into it these days too.
Hayate had lots of work (which we never knew about) to do so he chose to ignore the offer.

The weather was relatively  cool that day and we had to take extra layer of clothing for the night,( and an  extra layer of baggage)
It was Yuto's idea.

We took the train to Nagoyo city.
Yuto had relatives living there so he was gonna crash in there for the night.
Me,I still had to find  a place to stay for the night.

"Excited much?" He asked.
"I don't know how I actually feel." I said impulsively.

He tried to smile,that was when I noticed that Yuto seemed a little stressed out.
"Hey you okay? You don't so look good. Morning has been hard huh?" I asked.

"Yes kind off.Thing's haven't been well lately,with Hana." He told me with his face down.He tried to hide it,but he was on the verge of crying.
"Yuto,what's up? Did she say anything?" I asked. I was worried about him,he was a flower after all.
"It's not her,its me. I don't know what do I actually want."
"Sometimes I'm happy with just spending time with her,being her friend and sometimes I want more."
"She cares about me a lot,she does.But you know human tendencies right? We always want more."

"I know,we are never satisfied.But that's life.
But I thought you didn't want  a relationship or that sort and I believe she doesn't want one either?" I asked.
"Yes that's where I'm confused."
"You see I adore her so much that I just need her.
I need her presence. I need her to be there always,like backing me up.
It doesn't have to be a relationship of any sort.
Mostly that's what I feel about her." He told me all that in a breathe.It was complicated.
"Dude,what do you call such a feeling? Is it love or obsession or something else entirely?" I asked him with curiosity.
Honestly it didn't look too good.
"I don't know,look just leave it okay?" He told exasperatedly.
"Sure bitch.Get some rest.It's gonna be a long ride." I told him and he dozed off to sleep.

It was a four ride from Shinjuku to Nagyo city.
I sat beside the window,looking outside as it started to drizzle.
My thoughts wandering away to Kumi and then towards the excitment of seing owl city live for the first time and then back to her.
It was maddening.

We were woken up by the voices of our co-passengers.
"Dude wake up! We are there." I woke Yuto up.
Apparently he slept like a log and wasn't prepared to wake up.


"Come on, "Bottom line" auditorium is not far from here," as I checked my gps for directions.
The more we walked,the more goosebumps I had,it was finally time to meet my god.



"W-H-A-T?! ITS FUCKING EMPTY! THE VENUE IS FUCKING EMPTY!!" Yuto screamed in devastation.
"Bottom line" auditorium was empty for some reason,there was no concert,no owl city banners,no fans around."
I was  at  loss of words.You know there are times when something hits you so hard that your mind goes blank and you lose your tongue.
This was one of those moments.
"L-lets lo-ok around." I stuttered with my words.
"Ya let's.This can't be happening." He said angrily.

We looked around and found nothing.
We did however found some other owl city fans who were as confused as us.

"The concert got cancelled." I turned around hastily as I heard a familiar voice.
It was Kumi Ishikawa wearing a grey owl city t-shirt labelled "Maybe I'm dreaming",my favourite album.
I couldn't believe my eyes,it all felt like a distant dream.
Yuto wasn't as shocked as me so he asked.
"How do you know and if it's cancelled why are you here?"

"Sadly very few people in Tokyo listen to Owl city and even fewer booked the tickets.
It seems because of low ticket sales he had to cancel his trip to here as it wasn't profitable to him in anyway." She told us.
"And I'm here because just like you I wasn't aware of this as well.
I'm not on any social networking sites." She told us.

I quickly logged into my instagram account to check whether she told us was a truth or not.
It turned out it was.How could have I missed it?
Was it fate?

"But-but what about our money? It costed us a fortune to afford them,it will be refunded right?"
Yuto asked in terror.
"Yes it will,in ten-fifteen days." Kumi said.
He wrote this on his twitter timeline.


"So what are you guys gonna do?" It's late. There are no trains back to Shinjuku at this hour."
Kumi asked us.
We had no clue.It was 6pm and it was getting dark.
Yuto's phone buzzed,it was a call from Hana.

"I'm gonna head towards my relatives in here,Rin do you need help in finding a hotel?"
 Yuto asked hastily before the call got disconnected and started ringing again.
"Yes,don't worry,I'll be cool.See you tomorrow buddy." I assured him.
"I'll help you find one,I know this locality well." Kumi told me as she smiled.
"Thanks." I was blushing dammit.

Yuto departed,leaving an awkward silence in the air.
I didn't know what to say.
My mind was  numb yet again,trying to sink in all the things that went down just now.
She spoke first.

"Hey,do you wanna see this really cool place in  here? We can go there,its not far."
"We can look for a hotel later."

"S-sure,lead the way."
Damm, I blushed even harder.

We started walking.
She took a broken path which led out of the city streets and into the wilderness.
I was confused.
"Are you trying to kidnap me Kumi?" I asked with a confused look.
She laughed.
"Yes indeed Mr. Kobayashi." as she went on,and I behind her.

"So when did you started listening to Adam?" I asked.
I mean you don't really look like the dreamer type.

She took off her glasses and looked at me,her big brown eyes shining as she let loose off  her hair.
I had never seen her without glasses and that high pony.
It sent chills down my neck.
She looked like a  beautiful dream.
"Not everything is as it seems." She whispered,her eyes shining.


We kept on walking,deep into the woods.
I,following her silhouette  as she seemed to know where we were going.
Grazing her hands with  the long grown bushes so calmly as if she knew every other tree in the area.


She stopped near what seemed like a decade old tree house which surprisingly was still intact.
"My father built this for me when I was just seven year old."
"Back then we lived here in the Nagoya city,
I hated the city life,it was crowded and dirty even back then.
I would often run   here into the woods to find peace and tranquility."

"Come up,Its still in a good shape." She said as she gave me her hand.

"We shifted to Shinjuku but I still come here sometimes when I need solitude."

At that moment she seemed   to be an entirely different person  then what I had seen at the school,and I loved her even more.
Did I say love?

She helped me climb her wonderland and I wished she would know about my phobia for heights.
The platform was a bit shaky and she held my hand while we moved onto the more stable one.

"Fireflies."

"What?" I asked in confusion.

"Back then there were a lot of firelflies in here.
During the summer nights,they would gather up all inside and light up the place,we wouldn't need candles then.
Father would let them stay and he would always play the song "Firelflies" to go with it.
That is how I was introduced to him and his music.

She lit up two candels which was tucked away neatly in one of the trunks.
There were other supplies too such as packed food and juice.

I sat down at the far end corner,shivering more with nervousness then with cold.
My brain was numb,I didn't know what to say.
She went on.

"The more I listened to his music,the more I realised how much I loved illusion,illusion of being lost in a beautiful place,illusion of floating away,illusion of being alone.It was magical."
"The more I listened to him,the more I realized the meaning of life,my life."
She looked at me amusingly.
"What? You seem to have seen a ghost." She laughed as she caught me staring absentmindedly at her without even a blink.
I won't lie,at that instant I had already imagined my future with her.
She seemed to be what I had been searching for all along.

My eyes twinkling,I told her, "You are an interesting person Kumi Ishikawa."
She smiled."So am I."

We talked for hours ,more of owl city,our previous schools,video games(apparently her little sister played them a lot,She herself wasn't into them  much though ,to my disappointment.)
and many more stuffs.
She didn't ask me about my previous relationships and neither did I,we didn't touch such serious topics.
Of course I was dying to ask her about the guy Hayate had seen her hanging out with but decided not to.
Eventually,the night mother got tired of us chatty frogs and went to sleep.
It was nearly dawn.

"We should head back now,you will get late for school if you don't catch the-"
I cut her short.

"You are not coming?"
I wished we could stay together a little more.

"No." She said.
 "I'm going to my grandparents,they still live in the district."
"I promised them I'll come by."

"Oh,never mind. So see you at school then?" I asked.
"Sure."

We walked back the same path,I following her.
The place looked quite different in the morning I wandered.
Maybe I wasn't focused on the pathway when we came last night.

I had told Yuto to meet me near the concert venue.
Obviously he must have  had a thousand questions to ask me and I was ready to dodge each and every one of them.


He was right there,standing tall below the shade of the street light,trying to avoid the sun.
As soon  as he saw me,his faceless expression turned into a mischievous one with an evil smile and I knew I was in trouble.
I sighed.

Patting me on my back he started.
"There you are my bitch! I need every atomic detail of whatever happened last night." He said with his big evil smile becoming bigger.
"Not right now,I'm not in the head space for that.Let's head back." I told him trying not to blush.

"So was it like a dream come true? Spending time with the most famous-Kumi Ishikawa?"
 He asked again.He made her sound all high and mighty.

"Very." I told him,failing miserably at hiding my smile.
He had no idea of what went down last night.

My phone buzzed that very moment,once,twice,thrice and broke our conversation.
Who on earth was texting me so early in the morning?

I checked.
My then  face which was gleaming with the happenings of last night was now suddenly all pale as If I had seen a ghost.

It was a text from my former girlfriend- Isumi Akishino.

"Hey.How are you? Long time."


TO BE CONTINUED...................































0 comments: