series.

Life is a cherry blossom tree.(Chapter 9)

13:43 Shrey Katsura 0 Comments


The lyrics written in blue is taken from a song called 'Skydiver'.
The lyrics written in red is taken from a song called  'Nandemonaiya'.

"Shit! I think he's trying to open his eyes!"
"Kumi look!"

My head felt weightless as I tried opening my eyes.
The sun gaze coming through the window of my room too bright for my eyes.

One eye at a time, I did, and found Yuto's large alien face staring right back at me.
"Fuck! You trying to give me a heart attack bro? Get the hell away!" I yelled trying to find my voice back.

"Ahh.I hate those clips!" I said again, taking off the oximeter clip from my left hand.
I hated those things, sent electric shocks down my body for god knows what reasons.

My eyes now fully open, I look around.
Kumi and Yuto staring right back at me, Yuto looked as if he was going to burst into tears any minute.
Kumi came and gave me a light hug.

"Where am I?" I asked.
"Wait this place looks familiar." I continued.

"Yes, it is. It's the nursing home your mother works at." Yuto said.
"You fainted bro, We are glad to see you are finally awake."



"Where are mom and dad?" I asked.
"Does they know?".

"We tried contacting them, but their phones are switched off, The hospital authorities are still trying to contact them so don't worry, they will be here soon," Kumi said, with a serious look on her face.

Did I scare them much?
Did I scare her?

Kumi came and sat right next to me.
"How  do  you feel Rin?" She said, staring right back at me as if searching for some answers.
I held her hands.

I couldn't feel my head.
As if it wasn't even there.
They must have used some medication to make me feel that way.
"I don't know, I feel lighter I guess. My headache is gone, My entire head is gone it seems." I chuckled.

"It's not funny you know," she said.
Her face all red, her eyes looked bloodshot.
Had she been crying?

"Yuto can you leave us alone for a while?" I said, hoping he would agree.
Yuto and Kumi exchanged glances.
"Sure,bitch.I'll see you later." He said as he smiled and walked out of the room.

"Did I scare you?" I whispered, holding her hands even more tightly.
She looked around, not uttering a single word.

Her hair looked a mess.
"Hey." I continued.
"Can I touch your hair? I always wanted to feel them.
She blushed, without saying a word kept my hands over them.

Her long black hair felt so smooth, just like my life was whenever I was with her.
I came closer.
They smelled heavenly.I wonder what shampoo she used.
"Why do they smell so good?" I said, leaning my head on her shoulder, my eyes closed.
Ruffling  my hair  she said," Because I haven't shampooed them in two days?"
We laughed.
She kissed my forehead.
I felt like a little baby who just hurt his knees and was being showered with love for the pain I had to go through.
I wished I could faint every day.


"Get well soon hmm? What would a dreamer do without her dream?" She said, smiling.
Clutching her fingers in my palm I had slept again.




My parents came early the next morning.
They were out on a holiday in Hokkaido.
As soon as they heard my condition from my mother's PA in here, they booked the earliest flight and came back.
I didn't know they cared that much about me.


It was still not clear what was wrong with my head.
They were speculations about a brain tumour, some doctors were saying that I had been stressed a lot hence damaging a certain part of my brain.
But there were no confirmations.
My parents were worried sick and so decided to get me treated in a better hospital.
And hence I was back in Tokyo.



It had been almost two months since I went to school,I spent most of my time sleeping or getting checked in the hospital.
Apparently, my brain was dying and couldn't take much of anything.
I would faint every time I stressed myself or think too much.
It was boring.
The school festival was nearby so Kumi and the others were busy.
They would visit me on weekends for an hour or two, all of them together during the day.
Hayate cracking one of his jokes again, Yuto talking about the new cafe he found which served the best Hamburgers in the area and Kumi being her usual silent in front of me.
I wished Kumi would visit me alone, but she didn't for some reason I wasn't aware of.
It made me sad, but I trusted her.


"Dr Takahashi, could  I get two days off from the hospital? It's new year eve and I want to spend some time with my friends." I asked, my fingers crossed.

Dr Takahashi, the doctor who was looking after me, a slim man in his fifties with the tiniest eyes I had ever seen wearing his  half-moon spectacles looked up from the newspaper he was reading
and smiled.
"Rin, my dear. Of course, you can. You have been doing good so far.
Two days break won't spoil you I must say, But do come back immediately if you feel anything unusual okay?" he said in his sweet voice.
I liked him.
"Sure Dr Takahashi, I'll see you soon. Happy new year in advance." I said grinning as I ran back to my room get my stuff.

I was going to meet my friends, my Kumi.
But first I had some unfinished business.
I called Hayate.

"Meet me at my place in an hour for one last match you son of a bitch."
I don't know why I said that. I missed gaming.
Maybe I wanted to check whether I still had it in me or not.





It was freezing outside, the world outside the hospital looked white.
It had snowed the other night, I missed the first snow.
They say spending the first snow with your loved one brings good luck.

I sighed, as I put my hands inside the pocket of my jeans, shivering with cold.
Putting my headphones on, as I looked outside the window of the train I was in.
The train that was taking me home.
How much I missed it.
My eyes closed itself as a familiar tone started to graze my ears.


"Leaning back, the pilot smiled and shouted,
"Have a good trip!"
I signed off and closed my eyes.
Then I was falling through the sky"


"WE HAVE REACHED SHIBUYA STATION. THE TRAIN STOPS HERE FOR JUST FIVE MINUTES."
The pre-recorded voice of the announcement lady woke me up from my daydreaming.
I had to get out.




"Who's the loser now huh? I beat you fair and square fuck face! I'm the ultimate champion of the gaming world!"  Hayate shouted, making a victory gesture towards me.
"Jeez I didn't know you thought of me as the best in the world," I said.
"I guess I was good at something huh."
"Guess what." I continued.
"Let's play one more match, If you win, you can have my PlayStation. And if I win, you will watch an anime of my choice."
Even I knew, no matter how you look at it, it was a stupid bet, the one where I was at loss.
But I didn't know what else could I bet on.

"Really fuck face? Wow! You're on! Let's witness the official crowning of the new undisputed champion of the gaming world." He said more enthusiast than ever.
"Bring it on bitch," I said, taking a deep breath.

I lost.
Awkward silence in the air.
Hayate didn't jump or scream in happiness even though he always wanted my PlayStation or anything valuable I owned.

I closed my eyes and said.
"Guess it's time for me take retirement huh?"
"It was just a fling bro. You don't have to give to me." He said, looking worried.
I didn't know Hayate had a serious side.

"No, It's time I retire.
I have already taught you everything I know, make me proud." I smiled as I patted his back.

"Fuck, don't act as if you're dying or something. You can't retire at the age of 17."
He chose the wrong word, the word I was hoping to ignore all along,'Death'.

"But I'm," I said, standing up.
"There's no other way around it, I'm dying," I said.
Awkward silence again.

I turned around and smiled.
"Look just have it once I'm...Once I'm gone okay?" I said.
He nodded as he got up to leave.

"You're coming to see  the fireworks tonight right?" He asked.
"I sure will." I grinned.
" Want me to bring a girl for you Mr Watanbe?" I winked.
"Haha fuck you too." He said, pointing a middle finger as he went out.



I called Yuto.
"Meet me at the Shibuya station ASAP."


"You sure you wanna do this bitch?" He asked, confused.
"100% positive,I hadn't been so sure about anything in my life," I said, grinning.

"You want to put all of that money into this? I know you love her and all but still-" I cut him off
"Yuto, just be with me in this okay? I know what I'm doing."  I said.
I didn't know why I was doing all this, it's like I know I don't have much time left,I just know.
We walked into the 'Atre Yotsuya' mall in Shinjuku for this thing I wanted to get for Kumi.

After we were done,I told Yuto to meet me at "The Tokyo tower" before going to see the fireworks together.
He said he had a surprise for me.
I wondered what it was.


The fireworks were supposed to start at 11.45 pm around Tokyo Tower.
We all had decided to meet there and go to  Zojoji temple for praying before the fireworks started.
It was a tradition us Japanese had been following since the ancient time.
Praying on new year's eve and witnessing the first sunrise of the year brought good fortune.
I could really do with some good fortune.


Hayate and I were going to the festival together, he came to my place.
I wore a royal blue coloured Kimono whereas Hayate wore a black one.
For some reason, his looked a little too big for him.
"Who did you borrow this from?" I asked, making a poker face.
"Toru,I don't think he will be missing this." He said with a satisfied look on his face.
We laughed.



We were the first to reach of course.
It always happened.
Then came Yuto and Hana, hand in hand, smiling.
Wait what? DID SHE JUST KISSED HIM ON THE CHEEKS?!

I and Hayate were wonderstruck.
Before they could speak anything, Hayate did.
"If this is what it seems, I should bury myself right here, right now."
We all laughed loudly. Poor Hayate.

"It's official you guys." Yuto smiled as he held Hana's hands.
"We are dating." He said.
Hana blushed, for the first time, she had nothing to say.
All she did was blushed.

I smiled, Everything was falling into place it seemed.
Where was my princess?

And then she came.
I swear when I say this, but that was the moment when the time actually stopped.
She emerged from the shadows with her usual gaze even brighter,
A  crimson coloured silk Kimono covering her beautiful body,
A ribbon of the same tied to her hair, her hair which looked sort of different today.
Not entirely open but also not tied in the high pony they usually were.

She carried around a smile like none other, her extra large teeth now shining brighter than ever,
Gosh, how much did I loved that?
I kept staring at her as if star-struck.

My heart skipped a beat once, twice, thrice.
It seemed her beauty would kill me right then.
The intensity of that can't be described.

We didn't exchange words.
I was at an utter loss of them.
All we did was to smile.
I took her hand in mine as we walked, walked towards the Zojoji temple.

The place was crowded as expected.
People come here from all across Tokyo at this time.
Some came to pray for success in examination whereas some came here for love.
Me, I didn't want any of those things.
I had what I needed.


After we prayed, Yuto decided that we go to the village to enjoy the festival.
He was basically hungry so we followed him as always.
Kumi walking by my side.
Why was she so quiet?
She hadn't spoken much the entire evening.

"Hey, you guys? Can you go further? Kumi needs that teddy bear. We will be right along." I said, pointing towards the famous 'shoot and win' game shop in the area.
"Sure," Hayate said.
"Get one for me too."

"You want the pink one don't you?" I asked.
We laughed, as they went forward leaving us alone.


"So? How are you?" I asked, looking straight into her eyes.
She ignored my gaze again.
Was she hiding something?

"I'm okay." She said not looking at me.
"How are you? What did the doctor say?" She continued.
"Do we really need to talk about this now?" I asked.
"Yes, Rin. We need to talk about this." Her voice, a little louder which attracted the unwanted attention of the people around us.
"Kumi? What's up? What are you hiding?" I asked.
"You tell me Rin! What are you hiding? You are dying ain't you?" She yelled, tears in her eyes.
I froze.
I couldn't say anything.
Sometimes silence speaks for us.

" I brought something for you," I said, changing the topic.
Before she could say anything,I pulled out a little red box from my pocket.
"Open it," I said as I handed her the box.
It was a ring.
She kept looking at it, tears falling down her cheeks.
She wasn't wearing any makeup so I didn't dare wipe them off.

"Where did you get the money for this?" She asked.
"Don't tell me you have  been working part-time for this in such a condition."

"No, of course not. Remember that owl city concert we went to? The one that got cancelled. Well, they returned the money a while back and I didn't know what to do with it." I said.

"The concert huh?" She said.
"It changed my life completely."
"Mine too," I said, kissing her palm.

"How did you know my finger size?" She asked curiously
I laughed.
"Well, there was this one time my princess fell asleep in my arms. That is when I took the time to really acknowledge your hands.
I had always loved them. Did you know they are bigger than mine" I winked.
"They are not big, your's are small huh. I noticed it when you sat in front of me in the class," she said.
"Ah-ha, somebody notices me in the class?" I asked again, grinning this time.
She blushed harder, her face matching her dress.
"I hope you only acknowledged my hand and nothing else." She said, that poker expression of her's.
I laughed.
"You never know."


Just then, the fireworks started, the countdown to the welcoming of the new year had begun.
We hugged, for what seems like an eternity.
None of us willing to let go of each other.
"Don't leave me." She whispered.

Somewhere in the background, this song started to play.

"Now, just a little more,
Only just a little more,
Let's stay here a little longer now.
Now, just a little more,
Only just a little more,
Let's stick together just a little bit longer."





************************************************************************************************************************************


"Kumi! Wake up, you lazy girl! The school festival is today!"

I opened my eyes as I heard mum's voice echoing through my ears.
"Shit shit shit!! It's 10am! I'm late!" I yelled as I checked my phone.
The school festival had started just three days after the new year eve.
It was the day I was supposed to perform for the music club.

I still wasn't sure about the song I was going to perform on.
I wrote it a few days back. But for some reason, I couldn't gather the courage to sing it.
It was embarrassing, a little too feminine for the bold Kumi Ishikawa.

I walked towards school, a war going on between my heart and the brain.
"What if people laugh at me?"
"They had never seen this side of me."
"But you wrote it for him right?"
"Don't you want him to know how much you love him?"

"Look it's now or never."
"Why do you care what the school thinks?"
"Because I'm the vice president?"

I couldn't take it anymore.
I had to talk to someone.
I called Yuto.
"Where are you?'' I asked.
"At school, why?"
"I'll be there in 5 mins, meet me at the baseball court. We need to talk." I said as I cut the call.

I looked up at the sky.
"God save me today."



"Hey, you wanted to talk?" Yuto waved as I came to the baseball court at our school, it was empty.
"I don't have much time so I'll just ask one thing," I said.
"Sure go ahead." He said, smiling.
"Do you care what others think about you?" I asked.
He took a deep breathe and said.
"The world will judge you, either way, just do what your heart says and you will be fine."
I got my answer.


My phone buzzed at that instant.
"Fuck! It's Kuzuki!  Yuto we gotta run." I said.
"But-But my lungs-".
"Ah! Just run for god sake!" I said as I took his hands and ran with all my strength.

"The theatre, that is where the performance is going to be held."
"Just a minute people, Kumi Ishikawa is here!"

"Shit! No time to go backstage, I should just run up straight and onto the stage"

"There's our vice president and leader of the Hakuo's academy music club Kumi Ishikawa  boys and girls!" Hayate said as I entered the theatre room.
Shit who made him the anchor?

I ran and jumped onto the stage without looking, people gasping behind my back.
I didn't care.
"Where were you?" Kuzuki asked.
"Later," I said.
"We are performing 'Dark Angel',"
"You sure?" Kuzuki asked again.
"Yes, at the count of three."
My hair was a mess, I put down my guitar as I tied my hair in a high pony, I wondered if he was in the crowd.

"Kumi Ishikawa and her band will be performing their latest single 'Dark Angel.'Something tells me she wrote this for her dear old secret boyfriend." Hayate winked as the audience started laughing.
"I'm gonna kill this bastard once I get off the stage."I murmured.

I told Kuzuki and my other members to wait for my signal.
I closed my eyes.
"Here goes nothing."
1,2,3......


"I met a dark angel under the  cherries,
filled with laughter and merriness.
Glittered with gloominess at a glance,
A soul enriched in colours on the second.

You reek of cold, your breath even colder,
But all you are is a warm blanket, the one I hold onto at nights.
A dark angel sent by the gods, my dark angel.

I met a dark angel under the cherries,
Who would run away when its night,
but come back stronger when its light.
A dark angel sent by the gods, my dark angel.

Reality is a lovely place Adam says,
But you are the proof that such a reality exists.
You are an angel. the angel from the song he wrote about.
A dark angel sent by the gods, my dark angel.

You seem to be scaring others at first glance.
but all you are doing is saving  them at the second,
Just like a dark angel should, my dark angel."




"That's it, I did it." I murmured under me breathe as I opened my eyes.
"Where was he?"
The crowd roared with applause.

"ISHIKAWA FOR PRESIDENT! " They chanted.
But where was he?

There he is.
Of course, hiding in the darkness just like he always does.
He smiled when he saw me staring at him.
That smile of his, I could write a thousand more songs just to see that smile again.
"This was for you, my angel."

************************************************************************************************************************

A new season began.
The cherry blossoms started to bloom again.
I never knew I could get attached to them so much.
I lost mine though, exactly after a year I had met him.
He was indeed a cherry blossom tree.
Just like his life was he said, Beautiful yet short.
I missed him. I missed him every second of my life.
He came and changed everything.
Lying there under the shade of this cherry blossom tree in Shinjuku gyoen, his favourite place in all of Tokyo.
I'm envious.
Envy of him lying there peacefully when all I could do is cry.
But I'll get there, One day I'll be with him.
That's what keeps me going.
And till that day comes, I'll live.
The way he taught me to live.

"Are you done, dear? You're getting late for school." Mum's voice barely reached my ears.
"You be all nice and quiet okay? I'll visit you next week again." I said as I covered his grave with the cherry petals.
"Rest in peace, my prince."

















*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

I woke up with a start.
My head hurt really bad, my body dripping with sweat.
Where on earth am I?
What was it?
A dream?
I checked my phone.
18 missed calls.
"Fuck! I had been sleeping for 14 hours!"
"Shit! Shit! Shit!"


My phone rang again.
It was Hayate.
"Are you alive fuck face? I could really do with your PlayStation you know." He said.
"Hayate I just had THE BEST lucid dream of all time!" I said, jumping up and down on my bed.
"Lucid dream? What does that even mean?" He asked, all confused.
"Will explain later! Where are you? WE need to meet! Call Yuto and tell him to meet us at
 'The Katsura coffee shop in thirty minutes!' "  I said, my mind no less than a roller coaster ride at the moment.
"I hope you're paying." He said.
"I'll. Listen do you know this girl, Kumi Ishikawa?"
"Yes, is she the one you have a crush on now?
"I want to date this girl," I said confidently.
"Okay fuck face, meet me there, I think I already have a plan for you."
"Bingo," I said as I cut the phone.
I went up to the window and pushed it open.
It was another one of those  rainy day.
"Just what I needed." I grinned.
"I'm coming for you, Kumi Ishikawa."



THE END.




P.S.





No end credits because I'm a one man army and you already know my name.
Thank you for following this series, also would really appreciate if you listen to the song given below in the link. Think of everything Rin and his friends went through this beautiful journey while listening to it.

Thank you. It has been a pleasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDSkFeMVNFs






































0 comments: